LMS Engine Sheds Their History and Development Volume Three: The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway - Chris Hawkins & George ReeveUpper Bucklebury: Wild Swan Publications, 1982, Hardback in Dust Wrapper.
Condition: Very Good — in Very Good Dust Wrapper. Personal blind-stamp to the front flap and corner of the title page. Text complete, clean and tight otherwise.
Contains: Black & white photographs; Maps ; Appendix; Plans;
From the cover: “This third volume of LMS engine sheds deals with the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, the ‘Business Line’. Although once described as ‘the most degenerate railway in the kingdom’, it became one of the most economically important railways in the country. The two previous volumes in this series have dealt with those sheds formerly owned by the LNW and Midland Railways, as well as covering general LMS developments.
The L & Y was considerably junior to the London & North Western Railway insofar as route mileage was concerned and amalgamated with the company in December 1921. To the LNWR’s capital of £127,000,000 the L & Y contributed some £72,231,930, giving the new company an eighth of the total railway capital of the United Kingdom.
LNWR practice and design had been closely followed for years, both Ramsbottom and Webb architectural styles finding favour. Under the LMS, most of the L & Y sheds were grouped into a single Central Division and were, of course, considerably affected by E. J. H. Lemon’s 1933 modernisation scheme. The ‘Motive Power Area Locomotive Supply, Repair, Concentration and Garage Scheme’ of that year led to drastically altered shed layouts and improved buildings. The ‘ideal layout’, incorporating coal and ash handling machinery, larger turntables, etc., led to a marked improvement in tumround times and was applied at dozens of locations. The high airy roundhouses of the Midland had comfortably managed to combat severe roof deterioration. However, the roofs of the ‘steam sheds’ favoured by the LNWR and L & Y corroded rapidly and many were thus replaced in LMS days, further obscuring their individual origins.
This volume covers in detail the twenty-one ex-L & Y sheds operating in 1947, with brief notes on pre-nationalisation closures, and is illustrated with a wide variety of photographs and track plans. Locomotive allocations, together with amendments to previous volumes, are included in the closing pages.”